China will continue its efforts in rescuing Vietnamese ships and fishermen affected by Typhoon Chanchu, Chinese ambassador to Vietnam Hu Qianwen said in Hanoi Sunday.
The ambassador made the pledge when meeting with Vietnamese deputy foreign minister Le Cong Phung, who on behalf of the Vietnamese government and people asked for continued efforts of China in helping the victims.
Hu said the Chinese government has taken urgent measures to facilitate rescue operations.
China's Transport Ministry has sent professional rescue ships while the Agriculture Ministry has asked Chinese fishing ships near the site to rescue any Vietnamese ship and fisherman they have found.
China has also issued a warning, requiring all ships going through the waters to save the affected Vietnamese ships and fishermen, he said.
By 21:30 of May 20, China had rescued 21 typhoon-hit Vietnamese fishing ships sailing in the Chinese waters, Hu said, noting they had been supplied with fuel, drinking water and food.
After thanking the Chinese government and people for their assistance, Phung asked China to continue the rescue activities. He said Vietnam will give China more details about the missing ships and radio frequencies to facilitate the operations.
He said Vietnam has yet to have full statistics about the number of Vietnamese ships and fishermen hit by Typhoon Chanchu. Local media reported that by May 20, a total of 26 bodies of fishermen had been found, and nearly 200 people had gone missing.
Chanchu was formed in the Pacific, about 550 km east of Mindanao Island in the Philippines on May 9. It hit central Philippines and southern China, killing dozens of people and affecting thousands of others.
(Xinhua News Agency May 22, 2006)