2nd Australian death likely linked to AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail Xinhua, June 11, 2021
Adjust font size:

A second Australian woman has died from a rare blood clotting disorder likely linked to AstraZeneca's coronavirus vaccine.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) on Thursday confirmed that a 52-year-old New South Wales (NSW) woman died from a blood clot in her brain after developing thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) that was likely linked to the vaccine.

"This case presented as a severe form of this syndrome," the TGA said.

"We extend our sincerest condolences to her family."

It is the second death linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine in Australia after a 48-year-old woman in NSW died in April.

Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Paul Kelly said it was "extremely unfortunate."

"I will point out it's only the second death, with over 3.6 million doses of this vaccine being given across Australia," he told reporters on Thursday.

There have been 48 cases of TTS linked to the vaccine in Australia from 3.6 million doses administered, 15 of whom are currently in hospital receiving care.

As of Thursday afternoon, there had been 30,226 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia, and the numbers of locally and overseas acquired cases in the last 24 hours were five and 11 respectively, according to the latest figures from the Department of Health.

Follow China.org.cn on Twitter and Facebook to join the conversation.
ChinaNews App Download
Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from China.org.cnMobileRSSNewsletter