分享缩略图
 

Iran warns US against 'aggression' amid military buildup

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail Xinhua, April 3, 2025
Adjust font size:

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Wednesday that Iran would respond "swiftly and decisively" to any violation of its territorial integrity, sovereignty, or national interests, state media reported, amid heightened tensions with the United States.

Araghchi issued the warning during a phone call with Dutch Foreign Minister Caspar Veldkamp, reacting to what he called "unacceptable" military threats recently made by U.S. officials, according to a statement from Iran's Foreign Ministry.

The Iranian minister criticized Washington's rhetoric as a breach of the United Nations Charter and international law, warning it risked exacerbating regional instability.

He urged all UN member states to uphold the global rule of law and chastised the European Union for failing to condemn the U.S. remarks, which he said endangered international peace.

The call coincided with a U.S. military buildup in the Middle East. The Pentagon said on Tuesday that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had bolstered regional capabilities with additional warplanes, though it did not disclose specifics. U.S. media reported anonymously cited officials as saying up to six B-2 stealth bombers had been deployed to Diego Garcia, a strategic Indian Ocean base, in recent days.

The move follows over two weeks of U.S. airstrikes in Yemen and escalating friction with Iran.

Veldkamp, during the call, voiced concern over rising tensions in West Asia and stressed the need for diplomatic solutions. He also urged Iran to help safeguard international shipping in the Red Sea, a vital trade route.

The exchange comes after U.S. President Donald Trump told NBC News on Sunday he would launch "unprecedented military strikes" on Iran if it refused to negotiate over its nuclear program. "If they don't make a deal, there will be bombing like they've never seen before," Trump said, without elaborating on any ongoing talks.

In early March, Trump said he had sent a letter to Iranian leaders via the United Arab Emirates proposing direct discussions on Tehran's nuclear activities. Iran later said it rejected direct negotiation with Washington but left open the possibility of indirect diplomacy. 

Follow China.org.cn on Twitter and Facebook to join the conversation.
ChinaNews App Download
Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from China.org.cnMobileRSSNewsletter