KABUL, Aug. 15 (Xinhua) -- The negotiation is underway here on Sunday between the Afghan government and the Taliban on peaceful power transfer to a transitional government.
Reports said that Taliban representatives had arrived at the Presidential Palace to hold negotiations with the Afghan leadership. Head of the High Council for the National Reconciliation Abdullah Abdullah is reportedly organizing the process, which was said to be intense.
"Taliban fighters are to be on standby on all entrances of Kabul until a peaceful and satisfactory transfer of power is agreed," the Taliban said in a statement.
Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid told the BBC he could confirm there were talks with the presidential palace about a peaceful takeover of power.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani stays in Kabul for the negotiation. He also urged government forces to keep maintaining the capital's law and order.
"It is our responsibility and we will do it in the best possible manner. Anyone who thinks about chaos, plunder or looting will be tackled with force," he said in a video.
A Taliban spokesman said that the military group expects a peaceful transition of power "in the next few days".
In another development, former Afghan Interior Minister Ali Ahmad Jalali had been chosen as the head of the transitional government, Reuters reported on Sunday, citing diplomatic sources.
Earlier, Afghan acting Interior Minister Abdul Sattar Mirzakwal said that "power will be peacefully transferred to a transitional government."
"It is agreed that power will be transferred in a peaceful manner to a transitional administration," he said in a televised message broadcast in local media.
"People should not worry about the safety and security in Kabul," he said after chaos and disorder in parts of the city which were caused by rumors that Taliban militants had entered the city.
An Afghan Taliban spokesman also said that the group is negotiating with the Afghan government on a "peaceful transfer" of the capital of Kabul.
"No one's life, property and dignity will be harmed and the lives of the citizens of Kabul will not be at risk," the Taliban said, adding that diplomats and aid workers will have no problems, and the Afghan soldiers can return to their homes.
According to the military group, foreigners could leave kabul or the country through the Kabul airport, or register their stay in the country with the group.
On Sunday, U.S. embassy staff have been evacuated by helicopters, with key members working at the Kabul airport, the only exit route still in the government's hand. The EU staff in Kabul have been transfered to a safe and undisclosed place. Some other Western missions were also busily evacuating their staff, reports said.
Inside the city, offices and buildings were deserted, and shops were shut down after rumors and unconfirmed reports on social media that the Taliban had entered central Kabul, causing panic among civilians. Thousands of Afghans are living in parks or open spaces, not knowing what's coming next.
Earlier on Sunday, Taliban fighters have occupied the outskirts of Kabul, and sporadic gun firing can be heard in parts of the city.
The Taliban issued a statement after occupying the outskirts of Kabul, saying they don't plan to take Kabul "by force".
Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, said that the outfit has ordered its insurgents to stay outside the capital and not to try to enter the city.
"The Islamic Emirate instructs all its forces to stand at the gates of Kabul, not to try to enter the city," he tweeted.
Muhahid later tweeted that the militant group took control of Bagram prison at Bagram Airfield, 50 km north of Kabul, and released all inmates.
"All prisoners were released and were transported to a safe place," he said.
The prison homes about 5,000 to 7,000 inmates, mainly Taliban prisoners.
The Bagram Airfield, in Bagram district of eastern Parwan province, has served as a main U.S. and NATO forces base for the past 20 years.
Mujahid also said Taliban members had taken control of Bamyan city, capital of central Bamyan province at around midday on Sunday.
The media office of the Afghanistan's Presidential Palace earlier denied Taliban's attack on and seizure of Kabul, saying only sporadic gun firing occurred in parts of Kabul.
No attack has taken place in Kabul, the country's security and defense forces and international partners are providing security for Kabul city, the office said on its social media account twitter.
"The situation is under control," it said.
Since the U.S. troops started to pull out of Afghanistan from May 1, Taliban started to launch major offensives on Afghan forces. During the past 10 days, the military group has captured provincial capitals and many major cities in its "blitz attack", basically surrounding the capital of Kabul.
U.S. President Joe Biden has defended his decision, saying the U.S. would dispatch 5,000 soldiers to help with the evacuation. A U.S. official said the country is unlikely to change its military strategy in Afghanistan.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's office said the British parliament will be reconvened next week to discuss the Afghan situation.
Russia is calling for an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council to discuss the Afghan issue. Enditem
Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)