分享缩略图
 

Over 100,000 Rwandans at risk during ongoing rainy season: minister

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail Xinhua, April 3, 2025
Adjust font size:

KIGALI, April 2 (Xinhua) -- Rwanda's Minister in Charge of Emergency Management Albert Murasira on Wednesday warned that over 100,000 people living in 522 high-risk locations across the country could be affected by disasters during the ongoing rainy season.

Speaking during a senate plenary session in the Rwandan capital Kigali, Murasira said that these areas are home to more than 22,000 households and also key agricultural zones.

"Our resilience is still low. Research on disaster resilience across different sectors, such as infrastructure and agriculture, indicates that we stand at 46 percent nationally. Some areas have better resilience, while others are highly vulnerable. The lower the resilience, the higher the susceptibility to disasters, even minor ones, like light winds that can damage homes," Murasira said.

He said that disaster assessments have identified over 25,000 hectares of farmland, about 200 infrastructures and 23 public buildings, including offices and churches, as vulnerable. Among the most at-risk districts in the Western Province, 88 households in Rusizi are in danger, while Rubavu has 452, Rutsiro 424, Nyabihu 364, and Nyamasheke 100 households face potential disaster threats.

As lightning remained one of the leading causes of fatalities during the rainy season, Murasira underscored the need for early warning systems and rapid interventions.

"We have identified specific areas prone to disasters, and we prioritize thorough inspections in those locations," he added, urging residents in high-risk areas to remain vigilant and heed early warnings to prevent loss of life and property.

Rwanda has established 14 designated relocation sites to house affected individuals.

Since devastating floods and landslides struck the Western Province in May 2023. The East African country has continued to strengthen its disaster response mechanisms.

The government launched emergency housing efforts, completing 904 houses in the immediate aftermath and accelerating reconstruction through the Contingency Emergency Response Component project. So far, 900 homes have been completed, with an additional 1,888 under construction, according to the Ministry in charge of Emergency Management. Enditem

Follow China.org.cn on Twitter and Facebook to join the conversation.
ChinaNews App Download
Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from China.org.cnMobileRSSNewsletter