ADEN, Yemen, April 3 (Xinhua) -- Fierce clashes erupted between Houthi fighters and pro-government forces in Yemen's southern Dhalea province early Thursday, leaving casualties on both sides, a military official said.
The fighting broke out in the Batar area, north of Dhalea, after Houthi forces attempted to infiltrate government-controlled positions, the official told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
"Government troops repelled the attack, forcing the militias to retreat and inflicting casualties," the source said. Two government soldiers and three Houthi fighters were killed.
The clashes came a day after a government official said combat readiness had been raised across multiple fronts, including in the south.
On Saturday, Yemen's Presidential Leadership Council chief, Rashad Al-Alimi, said in an Eid al-Fitr address that government forces were preparing to retake the capital, Sanaa, and other Houthi-held areas, calling the goal "closer than ever."
The escalation comes as U.S. military operations against the Iran-aligned Houthis expand. The group controls Sanaa and large parts of northern and central Yemen.
The Houthis seized Sanaa in late 2014, prompting a Saudi-led coalition to intervene militarily in 2015 to restore the government. The conflict has created one of the world's worst humanitarian crises, with widespread famine, displacement, and infrastructure destruction. Enditem
Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)