分享缩略图
 

UN continue to mobilize aid in support for quake-struck Myanmar

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail Xinhua, April 5, 2025
Adjust font size:

UNITED NATIONS, April 4 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations and its humanitarian partners continue to assess and mobilize aid to support people affected by the devastating earthquake in Myanmar.

More than 25 search-and-rescue teams are working in the country, medical teams and supplies have been deployed, and water and shelter kits have been distributed in the regions affected, a UN spokesman said at a daily briefing on Friday.

On Thursday, more than 30 tons of medical supplies arrived in Myanmar, bringing the total to 100 tons since the earthquakes struck last week, he said.

In Mandalay, the epicenter of the earthquake and Myanmar's second largest city, humanitarian workers on Tuesday provided food and cash assistance to more than 10,000 people. On Monday, over 20,000 people received cash in Mandalay and other areas.

The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCHR) has deployed emergency relief including plastic sheets and kitchen sets for 25,000 survivors in Mandalay, Sagaing and Bago, as well as the capital Nay Pyi Taw and Shan State, according to the agency.

The health response also continues, with three tons of medical supplies delivered to hospitals in Mandalay and Nay Pyi Taw. Nearly 30 field medical stations have been established in the most affected areas.

Water trucking operations have begun in Nay Pyi Taw, serving approximately 45,000 people, UN humanitarians said. More than 20 latrines have been constructed in displacement sites in Mandalay.

Assessments from multiple UN agencies have showed widespread destruction across central Myanmar to critical infrastructure, including health facilities, road networks and bridges, after a 7.9-magnitude earthquake struck the country last week. UNHCHR estimated that in Mandalay, up to 80 percent of structures have collapsed.

Dozens of aftershocks continue, deepening people's fear and complicating humanitarian response efforts.

The UN World Health Organization (WHO) reported that electricity and water supplies remain disrupted, worsening access to health services and heightening risks of waterborne and foodborne disease outbreaks.

Increasing cases of acute watery diarrhoea were reported among people in displacement sites in Mandalay and Sagaing, along with dozens of cases of heat-related illness.

Humanitarians said that people affected need urgent healthcare and medical supplies, drinking water, food and other critical items. Tents and temporary shelter are also needed, as well as latrines and hygiene items.

The United Nations called for the international community to immediately step up funding to Myanmar, and ensure rapid and unimpeded humanitarian access to reach those most in need across the country.

"Our humanitarian colleagues are preparing a new appeal aligned with the Humanitarian Needs and Response Plan, which calls for 1.1 billion U.S. dollars as needs continue to outpace available supplies and response capacity," the UN spokesman said. "So far, less than 5 percent of this appeal has been received." Enditem

Follow China.org.cn on Twitter and Facebook to join the conversation.
ChinaNews App Download
Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from China.org.cnMobileRSSNewsletter