Home / Major earthquake slams SW China / Features & opinions Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read | Comment
Destructive aftershocks not likely to happen in Sichuan
Adjust font size:  ZoomIn ZoomOut

The trend of aftershocks became weakened and it was not likely any strong destructive aftershocks could happen in the Sichuan Basin the next few days, said Deng Changwen, deputy-director of the Sichuan Provincial Seismological Bureau on Friday.

However, he said, Sichuan might still have several 5 to 6-magnitude aftershocks. But they would not cause any damage to the urban area of the provincial capital Chengdu.

As of 00:00 Friday, 4,432 aftershocks had been recorded with the highest level of 6.5-magnitude. It seemed that there was a weakened trend of aftershocks, he said.

(Xinhua News Agency May 16, 2008)

Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read
Comment
Pet Name
Anonymous
China Archives
Related >>
- No minor quakes detected before 7.8-magnitude earthquake
- Premier orders to deploy 90 more helicopters for rescue missions
- Gov't to investigate school buildings collapse in Sichuan
- Official worries over possible post-quake plague
- Exclusive photos of the devastation at Hanwang town
- 4,432 aftershocks occur in Sichuan
- 2,309 tourists confirmed safe in quake-hit regions
Most Viewed >>
- Earthquake hits China
- People evacuated after deadly earthquake
- Sichuan quake death toll rises to nearly 10,000
- Rescue work in quake-hit Sichuan
- Zipingpu Hydropower plant stopped by quake