Anelka holds talks to quit Shenhua

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail Shanghai Daily, December 18, 2012
Adjust font size:

Even as the Didier Drogba rumors refuse to die down, former French international striker Nicolas Anelka is reportedly looking to terminate his contract with Shanghai Shenhua and return to Europe.

A report in the Chinese portal sina.com yesterday claimed that the former Chelsea hitman has agreed to forgo the final year of his contract, said to be worth US$7 million, if Shanghai allows him to leave on a free transfer.

The striker will then be a free agent under the agreement.

The club did not deny the sina.com report or disclose any details but AFP quoted Shenhua spokesman Ma Yue as saying that the discussion was between the club and the player.

"I don't know about the specific details," said Ma.

"But so far we haven't got the final result."

The former Arsenal and Real Madrid player has been linked with a return to England with the Premier League side Queens Park Rangers.

The former Chelsea striker joined Shenhua early this year with a lot of fanfare but could only managed three goals with the team finishing ninth in the 16-team Chinese Super League.

The Frenchman was also involved in a row with his fellow countryman and newly appointed manager Jean Tigana, forcing him out and taking on coaching responsibilities before Shenhua roped in Argentine Sergio Batista to manage the team.

 
 

A picture posted on Shanghai Shenhua's official website yesterday shows new director of Chinese coaches Shen Xiangfu (left) with two new recruits Xu Liang (center) and Li Jianbin.  

But Batista's own future is also in doubt with the club announcing the arrival of Shen Xiangfu, former coach of the Chinese youth and Olympic team and assistant coach of the national team, as the new director of Chinese coaches.

"I appreciate Zhu Jun's trust in me. The job is not new to me and I have come here to help Batista," Shen told reporters yesterday. "Shanghai is a big city and the fans here are amazing. I want to contribute to the soccer in the city."

Shen led the team out for the winter training session without Didier Drogba, the club said.

The 34-year-old Drogba, who signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with Shenhua in July, is also reported to be considering his options after the disappointing season and has been heavily linked with Italian Serie A champion Juventus.

Nicolas Anelka in Shanghai Shenhua

Jan. 1, 2012: Anelka joins Shanghai Shenhua.

Feb. 21: Anelka scores his first goal for the club in a pre-season friendly match against Hunan Billows, just 40 seconds after the start of the game.

March 16: Anelka makes his Chinese Super League debut and scores his first CSL goal in a 2-3 away defeat against Beijing Guo'an.

April 11: Anelka is named as part of the coaching staff to help struggling manager Jean Tigana who was later sacked.

Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from China.org.cnMobileRSSNewsletter