Lin gets wild card for world championships

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail China.org.cn, May 10, 2013
Adjust font size:

Chinese badminton star Lin Dan has been given a wild card for this year's world championships to be held in Guangzhou in August, the Badminton World Federation said on Thursday.

Lin Dan has been given a wild card for this year's world championships to be held in Guangzhou in August, the Badminton World Federation said on Thursday. [File photo]

Chinese badminton star Lin Dan has been given a wild card for this year's world championships to be held in Guangzhou in August, the Badminton World Federation said on Thursday. [File photo]

Lin's world ranking has dropped to 41th after his eight-month break since winning gold at last year's Olympics, meaning he was not eligible for an automatic spot.

"Exercising its prerogative to nominate a wildcard entry in each category, the COM (committee of management) determined the 29-year-old's stature and fan appeal would significantly enhance the championships," the Badminton World Federation said in a statement.

"This was the only wildcard awarded."

Since starting his professional career in 2001, Lin Dan has won four-time world champions and two-time Olympic champions. He returned to competition at the Asia Championships last month but pulled out in the quarterfinals due to an arm injury. He is considered to be the greatest badminton player of all time.

1   2   3   4   5   Next  


Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from China.org.cnMobileRSSNewsletter