U.S. News & World Report, a multi-platform publisher of news and information, has released its latest ranking of the best global universities based on their academic research and reputation.
The ranking includes the top 1,000 institutions across some 60 countries.
A total of 110 Chinese colleges are among the top 1,000 best universities, including 87 on the Chinese mainland, 16 in Taiwan, six in Hong Kong and one in Macao.
Peking University and Tsinghua University are at the top of China's top 10 list, whose global ranks are 53th and 57th, respectively.
As the third annual rankings of its kind published by the organization, the U.S. News ranking enables students to explore higher education options and compare universities around the world.
A total of 12 indicators were used to measure global research performance, including:
• Global research reputation: 12.5 percent
• Regional research reputation: 12.5 percent
• Publications: 10 percent
• Books: 2.5 percent
• Conferences: 2.5 percent
• Normalized citation impact: 10 percent
• Total citations: 7.5 percent
• Number of publications that are among the 10 percent most cited: 12.5 percent
• Percentage of total publications that are among the 10 percent most cited: 10 percent
• International collaboration: 10 percent
• Number of highly cited papers that are among the top 1 percent most cited in their respective field: 5 percent
• Percentage of total publications that are among the top 1 percent most highly cited papers: 5 percent.
The following are the top 10 universities in China by U.S. News & World Report.
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology [File photo]
Global score: 64.8
Global rank: 164th
Location: Hong Kong